Booking Information

You may book the Highlands Community Hall by contacting our Secretary/Treasurer Judy Cameron on 5796 9247.

Charges for use of Highlands Community Hall facilities:

$50 per session  (1-4 hours, e.g. meeting)
$100 per function  (e.g. full day or party at night)  

The hall has a fully equipped kitchen, tables,  chairs,  cutlery and crockery for up to 50 people and these are all included in the hire rate .

$200 per year for local community groups.  

Having a party at your place?

Hire of chairs:      $15 for hire of up to 25 chairs  $30 for 25 -50 chairs        
Hire of tables:      $5 per table  

Read more: Booking Information

The Hall History

12th May 1902
It was decided to build a Hall cum School in Highlands which was then known as Fassifern.  At a cost of less than 50 pounds the building was called "The Fassifern Hall".  Jack McAlpin was the first President of Hall and School.
Normal 0

1st November 1902
The School was opened.  At various times over the next 60 years the school operated in combination with schools at Kobyboyn and Molesworth.
1907
The Hall was renamed "The Highlands Hall" as it was discovered there was another area of the same name.
Early 20's
The building was moved to its present site, on land donated by Alex Chisholm.  This was carried out with a team of 16 horses.  So successful was the venture that the pictures on the wall were still in place on completion.  A separate school room was added and a new floor for dancing. 
1934
The Hall was burnt to the ground.  It was thought that a log fell out of the fireplace.
 
In addition to being the venue for the local school, the Hall was used for dances, socials, concerts, table tennis, badminton and community meetings. For a period it was also home to Presbyterian Church services and Sunday School.  Over the years there has been at least one wedding and a funeral conducted in the Hall.  The Merton Drama Club once put on "Ancona" and a Colombian Gold Exhibition was held under the auspices of the Yea Branch of the Victorian Arts Council. 
Over the years the tennis courts have been used for social and competitive tennis.
23rd March 1935
The final payment was made on the new Hall.
1960's
The control of the Hall was transferred to the Yea Shire Council with the management handled by the local Committee.
1969
The Hall was used as the assembly area and Head Quarters for fighting the big fires in the Yea valley. The Red Cross operated from the Hall to feed the 100 or so fire fighters. 
1976
A portable classroom was set up beside the Hall.  This meant that the classes could be divided.  
1982
The new school buildings were opened but the hall continued to be used for meetings and social occasions.
1996
A new roof was put in place.
2000
A new entry porch and internal disabled unisex toilet was added.  The porch gave a shelter for children awaiting the school bus.
2001
The Hall was re-blocked; the floors sanded and polished, and it was repainted inside and out.  The finance for these renovations came from a Victorian Government grant plus money raised by the community through bush dances and other activities.
2002
The historic photographs were placed around the Hall in time for the April centenary celebrations of the Highlands Primary School.
20th March 2004
First Highlands Art and Craft Exhibition
2005
Extensive landscaping was carried out, with plans in mind for further improvements and outside activities.
5th& 6th March 2005
Second Highlands Arts Experience.

Subcategories

The Granite News

Subscribe

Subscription is free!

Weather

55°
12°
°F°C
Showers
Humidity: 95%
Sat
Scattered Showers
54 | 73
12 | 22
Sun
Partly Cloudy
57 | 76
13 | 24

Upcoming Events

No events